Thursday, February 05, 2009

Political observation

Yesterday I read an article that there might be an addition to the new economic stimulus package in which new car purchased will be subsidized by tax breaks. I undertand the attempt to try to prop up the auto industry, but I just wanted to hear someone say that putting more cars on the road is working against the country's stated goal of energy independence. Instead of subsidizing more auto purchases, I would rather see more subsidies for mass transit - especially rail service. Those troubled auto manufacturers oculd help produce the new engines and technology to run this mass transit (in addition to building the rail cars themselves).

Also, I wanted to note that this proposed subsidy would cover up to 49,500 towards the purchase of a new car. That's interesting that the threshold is so high, as often the more expensive cars are less fuel efficient.

Just an observation I wanted to share as I prepare for today's Global Warming Teach In day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home